Sunday, September 03, 2006

THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!

Most of you probably think that I'm talking about the holiday season, but for those of you who really know me, I think the best time of the year is the start of the college football season! And like a good father, I've started my son's sports education at a very early age. Now for those of you who have read the unfortunate comment following the last blog entry of earlier this week, I'd like to respond to my well intentioned, but very misguided cousins. Yes, Penn State does have a very good football team (example: they beat Akron yesterday very handily), and yes, it is okay to root for another team from time to time. However, as most of you also know, you can't change the heritage you're born with, nor can you change the loyalties instilled in you. I give you exhibit A: The Roberts Children -- All four of these beautiful kids will bleed Blue and White for their parents loyalties (however misguided they may be on this one). I would never deem it necessary to try and change this for them. (When they are a bit older and of sound mind to make their own decision, we'll see what happens!)

That being said, MY son and I have been looking forward to yesterday with great anticipation. It was the start of yet another football season for the great University of Michigan Wolverines. And though they suffered through a disheartening season last year, we are confident that they are back on the prowl and won't be stopped on their way to the top of the Big Ten Conference. In fact Ben was so excited, he insisted that he sleep in his Michigan outfit. We, being the good parents that we are, obliged with great enthusiasm. Our mistake was not realizing that with all his excitment over the days festivities, that he would lie awake for quite some time dreaming of lining up behind center while doning the brilliant Blue and Maize in front of 107,501 strong screaming fans in the Big House of Ann Arbor one day. (See the picture below).




Well finally, the big moment came and Ben and I watched our first Michigan Football game together from the comfy confines of the big chair in Poppi and Nana's TV room. It was a rousing stomping of the Commodores of Vanderbilt University. We were happy to sing the Victors along with the band at the conclusion of the first of many wins this season.


GO BLUE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben looks miserable ... he probably hates football -> just thought you should know