Friday, December 16, 2011

REMEMBERING OPA

Hubert vanMeurs
October 19, 1917 - December 15, 2011

It's been a sad few days in the Shaw household as we have been dealing with the death of my grandfather.  He lived a long, full life in his 94 years and I am so thankful that he spent the last almost 2 of these years down in Wilmington.  Our kids got to know their great grandfather and were hopefully able to provide him a lot of joy while he was in North Carolina.

Here are some pictures.. in no particular order because I don't have the patience to try to figure out the timeline.  He will be greatly missed...

-when he first moved to North Carolina-

-Easter 2010-

-Neel and Suzi's wedding Dec. 24, 2009-

-Christmas 1 year ago-

-March 2010-

-When Lexi was born in May 2010-
 -This is the oldest picture that I have that Lainie found-

-Oma's birthday in August 2010-

-Halloween 2010-

-celebrating Maaike's 2nd birthday-















-celebrating Lainie and Cory's engagement in February 2011-







-celebrating Oma's birthday in August 2011-



3 comments:

Libby said...

These are really wonderful pictures...tears in my eyes. He will always be remembered as a delightful and wonderful man! Much love to you.

Carol said...

Melissa,
I am very sorry to hear of your loss, particularly at this time of the year. I know that you have been close to your grandparents and that you took great care of them as they transitioned to life in Wilmington. It's precious to have these photos of him there as a part of your everyday lives. Thanks for posting this info for us.

Lainie said...

I notice a particular sparkle in Opa's eyes when I am in the pictures. Going to miss that man so much! Hopefully dad is showing him the ropes ...

xo xo