Thursday, September 03, 2009

6 HOURS

Ben started preschool today!
What? How am I doing?
Oh, thanks for your concern... I'm doing fine! I held it together as I dropped him off but then had a little cry-fest in the car before I pulled away from his preschool. I'm okay though. After all, it's only 6 hours a week that I'm crying about! A little crazy, I know. And I was a teacher, so I know all the fun he'll have while he's away from me for 6 whole hours!
Enough about me??? Oh, you want to know how Ben did... the kids get all the attention around here! :)
Ben did...
GREAT!
He mentioned wanting to stay home as we were getting in the car, but by the time we got to school, he was ready to check it out. Here he is on the way in.
And in the hallway outside his classroom.

The first thing the kids have to do when they go in the classroom is to wash their hands. Instantly, Ben was in love. He loves water! This is one of his teachers, Mrs. Sullivan.

Then he has to find his name and put it in the bucket. He was excited about doing that too!
Then he can go check out the room and play with whatever catches his eye.

Maaike and I were pretty much chopped liver by that point. Not a, "Bye, Mom. Love you. I'm really going to miss you." Nothing! But I couldn't have been happier that he made the transition so well!

When I picked him up at the end of the day, I was bracing myself for the worst.... peeing in his clothes, hearing that he had a hard time listening and/or keeping his hands to himself. What did I hear? "Ben did great today! We tried to get him to go to the bathroom, but he didn't want to. We'll try again next week." Ben does have a good sized bladder but we did have to change his underwear when we got home. However, if our biggest obstacle for next week is to get him to feel comfortable to pee in the potty, that's great in my book!
So for 6 hours a week, our big boy will be having a blast playing with his teachers and friends!

2 comments:

Dana said...

Great job Ben!! And Mom!!! How was soccer this week?

Libby said...

Way to go Ben!